- GI Tag for Alphonso from Konkan
- Alphonso from Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg, Palghar, Thane and Raigad districts of Maharashtra, is registered as a Geographical Indication.
- The king of mangoes, Alphonso, better known as ‘Hapus’ in Maharashtra.
- It is known in domestic and international markets not only for its taste but also for pleasant fragrance and vibrant color.
About GI tag
- A Geographical Indication or a GI is an indication used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- GI products can benefit the rural economy in remote areas, by supplementing the incomes of artisans, farmers, weavers, and craftsmen.
- The first product to get a GI tag in India was the Darjeeling tea in 2004.
GI Tag status given in 2017
- The products which have received the GI tag this year include-
(1) Pochampally Ikat of Telangana
(2) Gobindobhog rice of West Bengal
(3) Durgi stone carvings of Andhra Pradesh
(4) Etikoppaka toys of Andhra Pradesh
(5) Chakshesang shawl of Nagaland
(6) Banaganapalle mangoes of Andhra Pradesh
(7) Tulaipanji rice of West Bengal
(8) Banglar Rasogolla of West Bengal
GI Tag awarded in 2018
(a) Araku coffee (Andhra Pradesh)
(b) Kadaknath Chicken (Madhya Pradesh)
(c) Adilabad Dokra (Telangana)
(d) Warangal Durries (Telangana)
(e) Alphonso from Konkan
- Ministry of Petroleum launches a Task Force for Closing the Skills Gap in India
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in collaboration with the World Economic Forum launches this task force.
- The “Closing the Skills Gap” Task Force will be a significant step to accelerate the impact on skills development.
- Task Force is the second country-led public-private collaboration of the World Economic Forum’s Closing the Skills Gap Project after South Africa.
- Ministry also released reports on ‘Future of Work in India’, an enterprise survey on the future of work in India and ‘Young India and Work’, and a survey of youth aspirations in India.
- The goal of the Task Force is to develop an action plan to address skills gaps in India and make the Indian workforce ready for jobs of the future.
Source- Economics Times
- The sixth edition of IBSAMAR, a joint multinational maritime exercise between Indian, Brazilian and South African Navies was held in South Africa.
- The aim of this maritime exercise is to undertake collective training for participating navies, building interoperability and mutual understanding as well as sharing of best practices.
- It is considered the most visible manifestation of the convergence of democratic values, economic interests, and maritime cooperation.
- It was initiated in 2006.
- The last edition of IBSAMAR V was conducted off Goa, India in February 2016 and all previous exercises were held in South Africa.
- Establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation
- Cabinet in approved National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation in Sehore District instead of Bhopal.
- NIMHR will be the first of its kind in the country in the area of mental health rehabilitation.
- It will serve as an institution of excellence for capacity building in human resource and research in the area of mental health rehabilitation.
- It is also recommending body suggesting models/protocols for effective rehabilitation of persons with mental illness.
- The launch of Methanol Cooking Fuel Program of India
- Northeast and Assam Petro-chemicals, a state-owned company for launching Asia’s first canisters based and India’s first “Methanol Cooking Fuel Program “.
- The project is a natural extension of our Prime Minister’s vision of reducing import of crude.
- This is an effort to provide clean, import substitute, cost-effective and pollution free cooking medium.
- This provides for an excellent alternative as household fuel and commercial, institutional and fuel for restaurants.
- The gaseous form, Methanol – DME, can be blended in 20% ratio with LPG.
- LPG-DME blending program is expected to kick start in the country by next year.
About Assam Petrochemicals
- Assam Petrochemicals Limited has been manufacturing methanol for the last 30 years
- It is in the process of upgrading their 100 TPD methanol plant to 600 TPD by Dec 2019.
Source- Indian Express
- Gujarat acts to save its pride
- The deaths of 23 lions since September 12 in Gir Forest stunned the Gujarat Government.
- The central government called international experts to help us control the situation.
- The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) has confirmed that the Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) was responsible.
- The scientists of ICMR-NIV (ICMR-National Institute of Virology) have recommended the existing CDV vaccine which should work as a protective intervention for Gir lions.
- Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) and tick-borne Babesiosis is killing the great cats famously known as Gujarat’s pride.
- ICMR has also recommended that the animals should be placed in 2-3 different sanctuaries.
- CDV causes a highly contagious and life-threatening disease in dogs.
- It also affects different wild carnivore’s viz., wolves, foxes, raccoons, red pandas, ferrets, hyenas, tigers, and lions.
Source- The Hindu
- Odisha food security scheme
- The state government of Odisha has launched its own food security scheme- State Food Security Scheme (SFSS).
- The NFSA was implemented in 2014 however; many people were denied the benefit.
- The move was taken after the center repeatedly failed to respond to the state’s plea of including the left out people in its national food security scheme.
- This will benefit the poor people who were left out of the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
- Under the scheme, the beneficiaries will get 5 kg of rice per person per month at the rate of Rs 1 per kg, the same as availed by people covered under the National Food Security Act, 2013.
- The distribution of rice to selected beneficiaries will be carried out through e-Point of sale (e-PoS) device at the designated fair price shops.
- The National Food Security Act, 2013(also Right to Food Act) is an Act of the Parliament of India.
- It aims to provide subsidized food grains to approximately two-thirds of India’s 1.2 billion people.
- It includes the Midday Meal Scheme, Integrated Child Development Services scheme and the Public Distribution System.
- Crewed SpaceX mission soon
- NASA has announced the first crewed flight by a SpaceX rocket to the International Space Station (ISS) is expected to take place in June 2019.
- It will be the first manned U.S. launch to the orbiting research laboratory since the space shuttle program was retired in 2011.
- In this mission, the two astronauts transported in each flight will spend two weeks aboard the orbiting ISS before returning to the earth.
- The International Space Station is a space station in low Earth orbit.
- The ISS is the largest human-made body in low Earth orbit and can often be seen with the naked eye from Earth.
- The ISS serves as a microgravity and space environment research laboratory in which crew members conduct experiments in biology, physics, astronomy etc.
- The station is suited for the testing of spacecraft systems and equipment required for missions to the Moon and Mars.
- Nobel Prize 2018
|1. In Medicine||James Allison of the US and Tasuku Honjo of Japan||Cancer treatment inhibition of negative immune regulation.|
|2. In Physics||Arthur Ashkin (U.S.), Gerard Mourou (France) and Donna Strickland (Canada)||Optical lasers technique which is now used in corrective eye surgery.|
|3. In Chemistry||Frances H. Arnold, George P. Smith, and Sir Gregory P. Winter jointly win the Noble prize.||H. Arnold “for the directed evolution of enzymes”
George P. Smith and Sir Gregory P. Winter – the phage display of peptides and antibodies.
|4. In Peace||Gynecologist Dr. Denis Mukwege and Yazidi human rights activist ‘ Nadia Murad||Efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.|
Source- The Hindu