1. NASA-funded Rocket to View Sun with X-Ray Vision
FOXSI (Focusing Optics X-ray Solar Imager) mission
- FOXSI is a sounding rocket mission.
- FOXSI is a collaboration between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency,
- The sounding rockets make brief 15-minute journeys above Earth’s atmosphere for a peek at space before falling back to the ground.
- Smaller, cheaper and faster to develop than large-scale satellite missions.
- FOXSI will travel 190 miles up, above the shield of Earth’s atmosphere, to stare directly at the Sun and search for nanoflares using its X-ray vision.
- FOXSI is the first instrument built specially to image high-energy X-rays from the Sun by directly focusing them.
- FOXSI is so far the only instrument to optimize especially for the Sun.
- This will be FOXSI’s third flight.
- Its first flight was in 2012, during which it successfully viewed a small solar flare in progress.
- Its second flight was in 2014 when it detected the best evidence at the time of X-ray emission from nanoflares.
- The third mission follows up on this discovery, but this time it includes a new telescope designed for imaging lower-energy, so-called soft X-rays as well.
2. NASA Will Launch 2 Rockets to Test a Mars Parachute and Track ‘Nanoflares’.
- A nanoflare is also called tiny flares.
- It is a very small episodic heating event.
- It happens in the corona, the external atmosphere of the Sun.
3. 3rd Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)
- Conference on ‘Global Ageing and Human Rights of Older Persons’.
- India will be represented by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It is being held in Seoul, Korea.
The Asia–Europe Meeting (ASEM)
- The Asia–Europe Meeting (ASEM) is an Asian–European political dialogue forum.
- The ASEM Summit is a biennial meeting.
- To enhance relations and various forms of cooperation between its partners.
- The main components of the ASEM process rest on the following 3 pillars:
(a) Political & Security Pillar
(b) Economic & Financial Pillar
(c) Social, Cultural & Educational Pillar
- It was officially established on 1st March 1996.
- At the first summit in Bangkok, Thailand.
- ASEM currently has 53 partners: 51 countries and 2 regional organizations.
- The European Union and the ASEAN Secretariat are the regional organizations involved.
- Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), the only permanently established institution under the ASEM framework.
4. Mauritius takes the UK to court over the Chagos Islands
- The Chagos Islands are a group of seven atolls.
- Comprising more than 60 individual tropical islands in the Indian Ocean about 500 kilometers (310 mi) south of the Maldives.
- This chain of islands is the southernmost archipelago of the Chagos-Laccadive Ridge, a long submarine mountain range in the Indian Ocean.
- Officially part of British Indian Ocean Territory.
- The United Kingdom evicted the Chagossians people between 1967 and 1973.
- To build a military base on Diego Garcia, the largest of the Chagos Islands.
- Since 1971, only the atoll of Diego Garcia is inhabited, and only by military and civilian contracted personnel.
Source- Times of India
5. Supreme Court bats for minor rape survivors
- The apex court extended the National Legal Services Authority’s (NALSA) compensation scheme for women rape and sexual assault survivors to minor children.
National Legal Services Authority of India (NALSA)
- NALSA was formed on 5 December 1995.
- Under the authority of the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987.
- Its purpose is to provide free legal services to eligible candidates.
- To organize Lok Adalats for speedy resolution of cases.
- The Chief Justice of India is patron-in-chief of NALSA.
- The second seniormost judge of the Supreme Court of India is the Executive-Chairman.
- The prime objective of NALSA is speedy disposal of cases and reducing the burden of the judiciary.
Source- The Hindu
6. Atal Pension Yojana indefinitely extended
- The scheme, which was earlier for four years, lapsed in August 2018, but the cabinet has decided to extend it and keep it open-ended.
- Earlier, people of age 18 to 60 years were entitled to enroll in the scheme. But now have relaxed it further to 65 years.
- All accounts opened after August 28 will have an accident insurance limit of Rs 2 lakh, double the earlier Rs 1 lakh limit.
- The overdraft facility of the scheme from Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000.
Atal Pension Yojana
- Atal Pension Yojana (previously known as Swavalamban Yojana) is a government-backed pension scheme in India targeted at the unorganized sector.
- It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9th May 2015 in Kolkata.
- Age- Min 18 years, Max- 40 years
- The Union Govt. would also co-contribute 50% of the subscriber’s contribution or Rs. 1000 per annum, whichever is lower.
- Under the scheme, a subscriber will receive a minimum guaranteed pension of 1000 to 5000 rupees per month, depending on his contribution, from the age of 60 years.
Source- The Hindu
7. India to participate in PISA after 9-year boycott Official
- India has decided to participate in the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).
- It tests the learning level of 15-year-olds.
- After a gap of 9 years.
- India had taken part in PISA in 2009 and bagged the 72nd rank among 74 participating countries.
Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA)
- PISA is a worldwide study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Formed in 1997.
- It intends to evaluate educational systems by measuring 15-year-old school pupils’ scholastic performance in mathematics, science and reading.
- It was first performed in 2000.
- It is then repeated every three years.
- Its aim is to provide comparable data with a view to enabling countries to improve their education policies and outcomes.
- It measures problem solving and cognition.
Source- Business Standards
8. Indian navy ships & aircraft arrive in Sri Lanka to participate in joint exercise SLINEX-2018
- The exercise to be conducted in two phases, namely the Harbour and Sea Phase.
- Sri Lanka Air Force personnel would also join in the exercise for the first time.
- The exercise which was previously held biannually has been converted to an annual event from this year
SLINEX (Sri Lanka India Naval Exercise)
- SLINEX are a series of naval exercises between the Indian Navy and the Sri Lanka Navy.
- The first ever SLINEX exercise took place in 2005.
9. Iran to handover Chabahar port to Indian co for operation in a month: Iranian Minister.
- Chabahar Port is a seaport in Chabahar.
- Located in southeastern Iran, on the Gulf of Oman.
- It is on the Makran coast of Sistan and Baluchistan Province, next to the Gulf of Oman and at the mouth of Strait of Hormuz.
- It serves as Iran’s only oceanic port.
- It consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti, each of which has five berths.
- Chabahar Port also provides direct access to India’s Farkhor Air Base in Tajikistan.
- Opened in 1983.
- It is the only Iranian port with direct access to the Indian Ocean.
- Chabahar is 700 km away from Zahedan, the capital of the Sistan and Baluchistan province, 950 km away from Milak, the closest city to the Afghan border.
Source- Indian Express
10. 2nd World Hindu Congress (WHC)
World Hindu Congress
- It is a global platform for Hindus to connect, share ideas, inspire one another, and impact the common good.
- It offers Hindus an opportunity to introspect towards improvement.
- Inaugurated in 2014.
- The second World Hindu Congress will be held in Chicago, Illinois, the U.S. from September 7 – 9, 2018.