Honors & Awards
1. Poland’s Olga Tokarczuk wins Man Booker International Prize
- Polish author ‘Olga Tokarczuk’ has won the Man Booker International Prize for her novel ‘Flights’.
- Tokarczuk will share the award money USD 67,000 with her translator Jennifer Croft.
- The Man Booker International Prize is world’s most prestigious English-language literary award launched in 1969 and presented by the Man Group.
- The award aims at promoting the finest literary work in fiction by rewarding the best novel of the year written in English and published in the United Kingdom (UK).
2. International Day to End Obstetric Fistula: 23 May 2018
- UN declared 23rd May as International Day to End Obstetric Fistula to significantly raise awareness and intensify actions towards ending obstetric fistula.
- Obstetric fistula is one of the most serious and tragic injuries that can occur during childbirth.
- Around 2 million women in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, the Arab region, and Latin America and the Caribbean are living with this injury.
3. New York Stock Exchange names first woman chief in the 226-year history
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has named Stacey Cunningham(43-year) first female chief in the history of the 226-year-old exchange.
- She replaces Tom Farley.
- Now, America’s leading two stock exchanges will be led by women after Adena Friedman took over as CEO of Nasdaq in January 2017.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York.
- The NYSE is owned by Intercontinental Exchange, an American holding company that it also lists.
4. Delhi govt doubles incentives of ASHA workers
- Delhi government has doubled incentives for ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) workers from Rs. 1,500 per month to Rs. 3,000.
- It has also decided to provide a maternity benefit of Rs. 2,000 per month for a period of six months during pregnancy.
- Delhi Cabinet in its meeting approved the Health Department’s proposal for enhancement of incentives under the Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) scheme.
- ASHAs are community health workers instituted by the government of India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) as a part of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM).
5. Assam govt to provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens
- The Assam government will provide pension to 16 lakh senior citizens of the state.
- Under the initiative, the state government will provide pension to all senior citizens who are 60 years and above.
- The pensioners would get 250 rupees per month which would be transferred online.
6. Kerala on high alert over Nipah virus outbreak
- Kerala continues to be on high alert due to the outbreak of Nipah virus.
- Three central teams are visiting the infected regions of the district and working with the State health department.
- According to state’s Health Minister K K Sahailaja, 12 people in Kozhikode are confirmed to be infected by the Nipah virus.
- As per the World Health Organisation (WHO), Nipah Virus is a newly emerging zoonosis that causes a severe disease in both animals and humans.
- This virus was first identified in Malaysia and Singapore in 1998.
7. E-catering facility launched on 23 major stations of Western Railway
- Western Railway has launched the e-catering facility at 23 major stations on its network enabling passengers to order food of their choice from a wide range of restaurants and food chains while on move.
- Now, passengers can avail IRCTC’s e-catering services at 23 major stations of Western Railway.
- E-catering provider ensures an extensive menu with hygiene and excellent.
- With them, you can order meals online to your train journey through an android mobile app.
- You can order food in four simple steps:
- Enter PNR no.
- Select station where you want to order
- Add food items to the basket
- Pay securely
8. Madhya Pradesh Launches ‘My MP Rojgar Portal’
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has launched ‘My MP Rojgar Portal’ to provide jobs to youths as per their educational qualification, skills, and interest.
- This portal will provide the youth with the facility for self-registration, updating of job preference, information regarding employers, sector and online application on the basis of sector and job role.
- The user would be able to obtain information regarding interview and job through their registered email and mobile.
- It was prepared by the Madhya Pradesh Skill Development and Employment Generation Board under youth empowerment mission.
9. Maharashtra govt introduces a new scheme to help landless laborers
- Maharashtra Govt. has introduced a new scheme to help the landless laborers among the Scheduled Castes (SC) to acquire agricultural land.
- Now, the landless among the SCs can purchase rainfed agricultural land (two acres) of irrigated land by paying only five percent of the cost.
- The rest up to eight lakh rupees will be borne by the state government.
- This is a modified scheme as the earlier Dadasaheb Gaikwad empowerment of scheduled caste landless laborers scheme was providing fifty percent subsidy.
10. Bala Prasath wins Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship
- Bala Prasath has won the Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- It is open to anybody over 14 years and holds a valid FMSCI National Racing license.
- The FJRS 2018 Championship organized by MECO Motorsports to provide a platform to drivers and riders coming out of the winter season to prepare for the National Championships.
11. Iraq to host the first international football tournament
- Iraq is to host a West Asia Football Federation championship in the southern city of Basra in November this year,
- Iraq has not played competitive internationals on home turf since its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
- Earlier, World football’s governing body FIFA has lifted a three-decade ban on Iraq hosting international football, this March.